Opportunity.gov Skip NavWhitehouse.gov
U.S. Department of Education
visit the U.S. Department of Labor
Get Started
  • Decide what type of education or training best meets your needs. You may want to visit www.careeronestop.org, or visit your local community college or One Stop Career Center for help in identifying potential opportunities. To locate the nearest One Stop Career Center, you can visit www.servicelocator.org, or call the toll free number: 1-877-US-2-JOBS (1-877-872-5627).
  • Apply for financial aid. The application is available at fafsa.gov or by calling 1-800-4-FED-AID.
  • After you've applied for financial aid, go to the financial aid office at any eligible college or university, community college, or trade and technical school that interests you. If you are currently receiving unemployment benefits, make sure to bring evidence, like a check stub.
  • Finally, make sure to contact your local One Stop Career Center to make sure that you can continue to receive unemployment benefits while enrolled in the program you have chosen. The President has strongly encouraged states to allow more kinds of training in their unemployment programs. However, not every training program excuses you from the requirement that you must be seeking, and available for, work in order to receive unemployment benefits.


Student Financial Assistance Resources Department of Labor Tools Questions and Answers Additional Resources or call 1-800-4-FED-AID

Department of Education seal Department of Labor seal Recovery.gov seal